Friday, January 16, 2009

Higher grounds



Life continues to be a sequence of unknown moments which can develop into events and/or opportunities where I am given a choice. My daily prayer is that I choose to listen closely to a "higher call" and use my moments in this life to do God's will.

An upcoming community outreach opportunity, hosted by our youth group, brought about a need for 100 empty boxes. Now, a big part of answering a call to serve the middle school and high school students at my church was, to always "prepare for the unexpected." So....knowing we needed 100 boxes I felt the "nudge" to get the ball rolling in the event they all waited until the last minute to get out and collect~ After making a couple of calls to some local businesses yesterday, I had (12) boxes collected! Pretty good results from "choosing" to pick up the phone and ask huh? From there, a friend suggested that I call the local schools and offer to take some boxes off of their hands. I made only ONE call! From that point...God flooded my path with more opportunities to listen and then choose!

My call to the school produced (2) more boxes but more importantly a very moving series of events! The school gave me the choice to come back today to unload several more boxes of paper which in turn, I could take the empty boxes for the charity event. My choice to say yes!...placed (14) more boxes in my possession and soooo much more! As I worked quietly in the supply closet, a "higher call" was presented.

I was told of a a single mother of (4) that is without heat and has a very minimal supply of food. She was in need of a miracle from "on high." As I stood with tears streaming down my face...my heart ached as I listened to the story and how this mother stayed awake all night last night, continually touching her children's bodies and faces to insure they weren't freezing to death. Praying silently, I wiped my eyes, finished my work on emptying the boxes and knew I had a choice to make. I could go about my path for the day that I thought was already planned or I could heed to a higher call of action. If not for my goal to collect some boxes then choosing to make a call to a local school..I may have never known about this precious family.

I stand amazed at how big God is. He knew the sequence of events and opportunities that would be presented to me these last couple days. He gave me a free will to choose and of course the Holy Spirit to speak to me, to nudge me and guide my choices. Not in order to pat myself on the back or praise any good deeds done...but to glorify HIM and be humbled by the chance to listen for and then choose if I would answer His "higher" call.

"choose this day whom you will serve" Joshua 24:15

1 comment:

  1. I am very proud of you Jodi. I am now following your blog and may even get one of my own. Therapy you know. Or maybe it is just talking and thinking out loud? Anyway, you seem to be following a path God has set before you and for that I am blessed. I love you MOM

    ReplyDelete